Saturday, April 29, 2006

There Are No Heroes.


I come from the context wherein we all get something in return. The whole concept of heroism stems from sacrifice. Why do people sacrifice? Because they envision something greater, something beyond themselves. It may not be for them, and these guys may not personally benefit from whatever sacrifice they make (the concept of not "gaining" in conventional terms boggles mainstream society's mind, and thus they put these selfless people on pedestals and poof, our heroes are born), but somewhere down the line, they benefit from what they do. It just depends on your values system. What do you value more? Monetary gain or personal fulfillment? The freedom of your country, or your life? Your offspring's future, or your personal comfort? Sometimes I feel weird that selflessness merits this kind of recognition. It makes you realize how rare it is. And...that's kind of sad. I wish there would be a time wherein selflessness would be as ordinary as the crime blotters we hear reported over the news night after night after night.

*****

Someone screwed with my Yahoo mail account. So now, I made a new one. Please forgive me if I don't respond to your emails. Goodbye, o numerous yahoogroups. *sniff*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home